Thursday, August 17, 2017

A Condemning Society

The other day I saw a comic made by sporean comic writer that tells a story about a youngster who scolds an elderly in a food court. A passerby records a video of it and uploads it onto social media. As a result, a lot of people see and share it and people starts to condemn and verbally abuse her on social media. Not only that, people also gives her death stare and purposely bumped her on the street. Because of it, she's now terrified to go out.

This morning, I saw another comic made by Indonesian comic writer. The story was about a guy riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. A police stops her and wants to issue a fine. The biker slaps the police on the head and says, "You dare? I'm in the army! You can't fine me!". A passerby records it and upload it to social media. The head of the army then catches the guy and hands him over to the police.

When I saw the first comic, I felt sorry for the girl. She's still wrong, but she didn't deserve to be treated like that. Not only online, she was abused in real life by people she didn't know too. And she isn't even a murderer.

The second one though, I think was used appropriately. In Indonesian society, some people still believe they are above the law and can just walk their way out of problem either just saying they have certain position, or by bribing.

Both were punished in the end, however, I believe the biker wouldn't have been abused in real life. I think people treated her that way because she was easier to bully. The biker could easily reports anyone bullying him on the street for going against an officer while she can't?

Another thing is, the biker was handed over to police, that will shut people up. But then again, he was breaking the law in the first place. In the girl's case, it was about manners. She didn't break any law. She can't be handed over to police. The most she can do is apologise, and based on the comments on the comic, she already did. But that's not enough and people still abuse her.

In today's society, or maybe I should say even before, people constantly judge other people. Nowadays is more obvious though. Through social media, people are turning into keyboard warriors and condemn others every single second. I might be considered one of them too, I guess, since I'm talking about them now.

The other day there was a post on facebook about a mum who ear pierced her baby daughter. A lot of women strongly condemned her for doing so by saying she has no right to her body, it's cruelty against children, she's hurting the baby just for fashion, and so on. It was bad. Of course, there were other women who came to her defence and said it's better to be done when she's little so her mum could take care of it, they were earpierced when they were babies too and they are OK with it, it doesn't hurt that much, she won't remember it, and so on.

Some even said they were grateful to have theirs done when they were babies. They saw how their friends had ears pierced during teenagers and saw what they had to go through with the infection etc. I'm also one of those babies, my mum pierced my ears when I was 1 or 2 months old. Even then, she regretted it. Saying she had to care for me myself. Next time she gave birth, she asked the hospital to pierce their ears on Day 2.

But yeah, the opposition group is pretty strong. It was like they were condemning a thief.

Society is really weird nowadays... Few weeks ago, a guy was shot by police for holding a florist hostage with scissors and broken bottle for who knows why. I think he had mental issues. Then, people started critiquing the police for shooting him dead. Even though he already hurt the florist' neck!

I thought people would have learned from Lindt Cafe incident 2 years ago. Back then, the police didn't want to have casualties and didn't barge in until they heard shots, as the result 2 people died. Back then, the police were blamed for holding back. And now they didn't hold back, but are still blamed.

It's a weird world we live in 😕

No comments:

Post a Comment