Friday, September 1, 2017

My First Thoughts on Barefoot Investor

I'm reading Barefoot Investor now. Its actually againsts my personal rule of not reading personal help books in an attempt to not brainwash myself. Those books sound really scary you know, seems like they can turn you into something completely different. I blame The Secrets to be exact.

But anyway, my colleague Barbie mentioned it to me. Barbie thought I was the one who recommended it last time, but no, it was my first time hearing it. I said to Barbie, I don't read those kind of books. Which Barbie replied, "That's a pity". This is 1 of the reason why I don't like Barbie. The i-know-everything-and-participate-in-anything act. Why should you pity me? I don't read those doesn't mean I don't do things they tell you to do in those books? I just read the early chapters, and you know what? I've done the first steps years ago. I can skip the first Barefoot Date yayy

I didn't plan to read this book really. But after going into library a couple of times last month and seeing the book for the 2nd time in Fast Loan section, I thought, alright, I will read it. The cheapskate/tightarse/thrifty/wanna-be-rich-and-retire-early part of me is a bit intrigued and want to know if there is something I can take out of it. Even if it makes me richer just by $50, it's still free money right? And it's actually written by an Australian, so it is relevant to me. And it's not thick, I should be able to finish it in a week. And, the way it's written is just like the way I write huahhahaha... Can get something unrelated tangled up to make a point lol XD

The first step is to make zero fee savings account and separate accounts for emergency and daily. Checked. Did that years ago and got all those free money for opening up accounts. Emergency... I do have an account, but it's really empty and I don't usually need it as I'm not the type who splurges or accidentally spends all my money in my daily account.

Second step, setting up high interests accounts. Did that years ago and now with a mortgage, my mortgage interests are higher than the highest savings account interests. So nope, not relevant anymore.

Third, superannuation. He's saying to ditch Self managed funds. But I haven't read all the chapters. We'll see.. I know I have investments going on there which is not bad at all, but I did think to change it to be more risky one. I will keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment