Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Lost in Translations

The other day, my cousin told me about the mistake she made when she started learning spanish. And i thought, this is going to be in my blog xD

She was dating a spanish speaking boyfriend. Since it was getting serious, she took Spanish lesson so she could communicate with his family in the future. Then it got to the point where she started talking and texting his relatives, in this case, her future mother in law...

So she sent this text to her, basically saying nice talking to you. But i feel embarrassed when talking to you (since she's still learning). You know how some Spanish words are similar to English, just with Spanish touch to it? So she said embarasada. Embarrassed, embarasada right?

She sent it, and later on told her boyfriend about the call and showed him the text. He LAUGHEDDDDDDDD xD coz what she typed actually meant "I feel pregnant when talking to you" LOLLLLLLLLLLL xD

The mum in law on the other side was also laughing. But she knew what she meant, coz apparently her daughter in Brazil also made the same mistake when started speaking Portuguese lol

Her husband then told us his story too. He said when he first came to Australia, he went to a doctor for an appointment. But instead of saying "I have an appointment with the doctor", he said to the receptionist, "I have a date with the doctor" HUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA xD

The receptionist burst out laughing lol and his uncle who came with him also laughed xD

I can't remember if I made a fatal mistake like that when I started speaking English. But i remember one time, my flatmate was overseas, and she left fruit that started to go bad. So I texted her boyfriend, asking what should I do with them. The boyfriend replied, "Chuck it". My best friend and I looked at that text and discussed for like 10 min what does chuck mean lol i think i even checked my dictionary xD mind you it was during the time when google was not at your fingertips!

Another funny one is my auntie. During her early years in Oz, she got invited to dinner. The host told her, please bring a plate. She literally brought 3 plates!!! xD 1 for her, 1 for her husband and 1 for her son xD while what it actually meant was for her to bring a dish lollll

No comments:

Post a Comment