Friday, March 4, 2016

Changes to Notice of Resignation

I've been having headache since yesterday because of superexcited. We received an email from Lao Er, asking us to sign the new contract as it's been changed a bit.

That bit is on notice of resignation. It says, upon leaving the company, if you've worked for 1 year, you need to give 1 month notice. If you've worked for 2 years, you need to give 2 months notice. And if you've worked for 3 or more years, you need to give 3 months notice.

Tell me, which company will hire you if you say you can only start 3 months later? I don't know if this is even legal. However I did check fairwork australia website and it says 1 week for 1 year employment, 2 weeks for 2 years, 3 for 3 years and 4 weeks max after.

I've spoken to the other ex-colleagues too and they all say not to sign. Eventhough it's not legally binding, knowing how superexcited is, he'll surely throw a tantrum and use the point of "you signed it!" to make us stay 3 months.

They wrote in the contract, it applies for both parties. So when the company wants to end your employment, they will have to give that much too. However, from past history, they will have closed door conversation and then tell us that they have reached a mutual agreement and Mr X has decided to leave and the company gives him 1 month salary. They never gave more than a month. Plus they do say, when there is need for less notice period, it will be case per case bases. I guess, that is the case.

I don't see how that contract will benefit us as employees. They say it's a win win solution that gives company enough time to hire and train new person and for us to find future employment. I can't see the benefit for us though. It only benefits them to find replacement but if we can't find a job, we will still have to go right? In the past they say it can be extended, but one ex-colleague left without new job on hand because he couldn't stand being asked every single day if he's got any offer yet.

I asked people around and most if not all of them said not to sign it. The rest say to sign it but then when it's time to go, just give 1 month and then leave. Basically to sign and not honor it. Some actually wonder why the boss insists to keep someone who already plans to leave to stay for that long. Imagine how unproductive that person would be. That's true though. I got my uni offer before I graduated and final months of my high school scores? Average of 30s lol.

I will just wait and see. I wonder if they will come and ask us personally for that signed contract. Coz as far as I can see, no one signed it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment